The County Membership Scheme was inaugurated in the early 70's by the late Geoff Marks, OBE, and the late Norman Russell of Little Aston. It's function is to give Staffordshire club members the opportunity to play competitive golf on other courses in the county, whilst generating financial backing for County golf.
Membership is open to every golfer in Staffordshire, whose club is affiliated to the E.G.U. To become a life member, the subscription is £30 which includes a Staffordshire Union tie.
The membership list is now open. If you would like to join print off a membership application form and send to the Honary Secretary, Michael Entecott.
We run competitions throughout the year, namely Spring, Summer and Autumn meetings, playing a rye greensome stableford format, with a handicap limit of 21. The cost of entry being £20 per pair.
There is also the Geoff Marks Trophy, an individual competition which members can qualify for and this is traditionally played for over one of the 9 hole courses in the County. The winners of all three meetings gain automatic entry, together with 2 qualifiers from each club in the County.
The current committee for the S.U.G.C. Membership Scheme is:-
- Chairman: Barry Whittaker (Oxley Park GC)
- Secretary: Michael Entecott (Oxley Park GC)
- Treasurer: Les Williams (Calderfields GC)
- Committee: Mike Aldridge (Great Barr), Tony Gull (Oxley Park), Brian Moody (Trentham Park), Robert Simkin (Calderfields), Peter Stanier (Trentham Park)
- COMPETITION DATES FOR 2019:-
Competition dates for 2018:-
- Spring 17th May Branston GC Results
- Summer 25th June Trentham GC Results
- Geoff Marks Trophy 23rd July The Manor GC Results
- Autumn 6th September Walsall GC Results
The A.G.M. will take place at Branston GC. following the Spring meeting. To date we have 1523 life members with a total of 42 clubs in the County being represented.
Out of the income from the subscriptions and entries, we make an annual donation to the county in support of junior golf and coaching. When the county team are successful in qualifying for the national finals, we then make a contribution toward their expenses. We also make a contribution toward accommodation expenses for the junior team who qualify each year for the E.G.U. Junior Club Championship at Woodhall Spa.
Last year we granted funds to the Beau Desert junior team who represented Staffordshire.